Event Safety is a specific sector of Health and Safety practice which has possibly the widest skills scope of any sector, ESMA aims to establish itself as the major independent voice of UK event Safety Managers, Consultants and Advisors from all areas of the festival and event health, safety and welfare sector including; production and site management, crowd management, structures, environmental noise, emergency and contingency planning, fatigue, equipment, mental health, noise at work, workplace transport, fire safety, security, medical and first aid, stewarding, worker and visitor welfare, special effects and counter-terrorism, helping to both influence legislation, develop standards, mentoring, training and provide the festival and live events industry in general with a source of authoritative, holistic pragmatic information on a range of workplace safety issues, while representing the needs of its members.
Our sector of the industry covers the areas of festivals, concerts, touring, corporate events, one off shows, exhibitions, product launches, trade shows, broadcast etc.
ESMA Code of Conduct
• only advise on, or undertake tasks, as risk and safety professionals in areas where they are fully competent and can practice in a prudent and diligent manner;
• if self-employed ensure that appropriate professional indemnity insurance is current and up-to-date;
• if an employer ensure that the appropriate Employers Liability Insurance, Public Liability Insurance and Professional Indemnity Insurance is current and up to date;
• if an employer, ensure that in so far as is reasonably practicable, that their business, staff and premises are all fully compliant with the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and any subsequent regulations under this Act together with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and any relevant employment law.
• use due diligence when selecting employees or contractors and that a Pre Procurement system is in place to ensure that employees and contractors are fully competent and not selected by price alone.
• ensure that information, instruction, training and supervision are given to all staff together with on-site inductions when working at host premises.
• ensure that their professional competence is maintained and developed to meet the requirements of safety legislation, industry standards and the demands of best practice. Competence is not attained through qualification alone. You should maintain and improve your competence by participating in Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activities throughout your professional career;
• members must maintain the highest integrity at all times, the solicitation of staff of another company or the Clients of another consultant or company is strictly forbidden by the Association and will result in expulsion from the Association if proven;
• seek to avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible, and where such circumstances do arise, reveal the fact to all those who might be affected;
• where relevant, inform the appropriate authority of any illegal or unethical risk or safety related behaviour;
• conduct themselves with fairness when dealing with others, comply with the Equality Act 2010 and not engage in acts of discrimination whatsoever;
• act as the faithful agent of their clients or employers and accept personal responsibility for all work carried out by them or under their supervision;
• assist colleagues and co-workers in their professional development and support them in following this Code of Practice;
• ensure that they make clients, employers and others who may be affected by their activities aware of their levels of competence.
ESMA Board Members
QPM, BA Hons, (UKCMA)
Director/Owner at Gentian Events Ltd
Eric is a lecturer at Buckingham New University (Crowd Safety Management) and Chairman of the UK Crowd Managers Association.
After a 33 year police career with firearms, helicopter and covert deployments, Eric retired in 2012 after delivering the largest national event in the history of policing, the London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay over 70 days and 8,000 miles. He holds FdA and BA hons in Crowd Safety Management and now delivers training in crowd and events safety in the UK, US and Canada as well as EPC.
He presents at the American Events Safety Alliance 2017, and was key note speaker at the Canadian ESA Safety Summit in April 2017. He was based at New Scotland Yard as a Public Order Planner, managing Notting Hill Carnival, New Years Eve and multiple major policing operations.
MA, LLB (Hons), Dip SHEM, PGLTHE, CMIOSH, FHEA (UKCMA)
Director Symphotech Ltd
Chartered safety and health practitioner, Eddy Grant is Symphotech’s legal and safety consultant. With over 30 years of industry experience, Eddy has worked with the Event Industry Forum and HSE to significantly contribute to the new Purple Guide. He has also overseen health and safety on a variety of events including The London 2012 Summer Olympics, the Tour de France 2014, and was employed by Liverpool City Council to deliver the city’s 2008 Capital of Culture programme.
Specialising in event safety, crowd management and trained as an expert witness in this area.
Eddy is also a senior qualified lecturer at Derby University leading the Event Safety Management Diploma and leads Symphotech’s new IOSH accredited safety training.
CMIOSH, MIFireE, (SAGE), (ABTT)
Principal Consultant at Anderson Bradshaw Limited
A Chartered Member of IOSH, Michael sat on the British Standards Technical Committee for BS7909 for 7 years. With more than 25 years’ experience as a Health & Safety Professional in construction, contracting and facilities management, now specializing in entertainment safety he has specific experience in CDM, fire & life safety, work at height, permit to work systems and event electrics, he is dedicated to the provision of integrated solutions in safety systems.
Michael is Chairman to the ABTT Safety Committee, a member of JACE, (the HSE’s Joint Advisory Committee for Entertainment representing SAGE). Michael is a Director, Fellow of the IEAM and Chairman of SAGE, the Safety Advisor’s Group in Entertainment.
BSc, MSc, FHEA, UKCMA
Senior Lecturer/Course Director, Coventry University
Emma Parkinson is Senior Lecturer in Emergency Planning and Crowded Places at Coventry University, where she teaches short courses, undergraduate modules and postgraduate Certificates, Diplomas and MSc programmes in Emergency Planning, and Crowded Places and Public Safety. Additionally she works as a freelance crowd safety management consultant with clients that include large-scale music festivals and Premiership football. Specialisms include crowd safety management and major incident planning, development of command and control systems for crowded places, staffing deployment and management for crowd safety and training and exercising for crowd safety.
CMIOSH, FIIRSM, AMIIAI (SAGE)
Has over thirty-five years’ experience in the live music and live event industry. Formally a Production, Tour and Stage Manager including production for the main stages at Glastonbury Festival but now focus on health and safety. He was responsible for introducing Safety Passports to the technical production industry and to the marquee industry via MUTA. He is the author of four books on event health and safety and is a founder member of ESMA.
Chris spent twelve years on the Council of Management to the Production Services Association.
Fire Risk Assessor (Chartered Institute of Environmental Health).
Chartered Member of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
Fellow of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM)
Associate Member of the Institute of Industrial Accident Investigators (IIAI)
Represents ESMA on the HSE Joint Advisory Committee for Entertainment (JACE)
Member of the Safety Advisors Group in Entertainment.
Specialist in arena tours, festivals and all types of music events at every scale.
Tech IOSH, UKCMA, SIIRSM, SAGE, RISC, EvCTRM, MASC
Director S.T.O.R.M 4 Events Ltd
A specialist Event Safety, Security, Crowd Safety and Counter Terrorism Consultant and Trainer with a proven track record of over forty years including Safety, Security and Crowd Management Manager for the Tour de France 2014 (Stages One and Two of the UK Grand Depart) and the Safety and Crowd Management Consultant Role for the National Armed Forces Day National Event.
A founding Member of ESMA, also Vice Chair of the UKCMA (United Kingdom Crowd Management Association), a Member of the UKCMA Strategic Development Group, a Technical Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) and a committee member of the IOSH Sports Grounds and Events Group, he is also a Specialist Member of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management, a Member of the Association of Security Consultants and is listed on the UK Register of Independent Security Consultants.
Steve sits on the Event Industry Forum (Publisher of the Purple Guide) on behalf of IOSH, the DCMS Event Industry Board Working Group, the National Outdoor Event Association Committee and the SIA Event and Festival Forum.
LLB (Hons), (Tech IOSH), SIIRSM, UKCMA, Msyl
Director S.T.O.R.M 4 Events Ltd
With 30 years, extensive Police Service he has an in-depth experience of managing and delivering High Risk Events, Contingency and Emergency Planning. This included the Development of Emergency and Contingency Plans for Major Incidents in all phases.
An experienced Counter Terrorism Security Coordinator (CT SecCo) with significant practical experience in the production of Security Plans for high risk events including: Protected visits (Ministerial and Royalty); Olympic Torch Relay; NATO Summit 2014 and Champions League Final 2017.
Garry is the Lead Assessor/Course Director for the UK Police Counter Terrorism Security Coordinator (CT SecCo) training in excess of 80 percent of all operational police CT SecCos within the UK.
He is a Technical Member of IOSH, sitting on the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) Sports Grounds and Events Group Committee and a Specialist Member of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management. He is a full Member of the Security Institute and a Board Member of UK Police National Counter Terrorism Security Coordinators Board.
Director Major Events Boss Limited
Adrian is an independent event consultancy professional with a passion for major events, primarily within the outdoor music festival and professional sporting spheres, where he specialises in managing the planning and delivery of the event, managing people, building robust command and control arrangements, overseeing large scale security and stewarding operations, devising crowd management plans and procedures, all within various threat and risk profiles both in the UK and abroad.
After a 30 year extensive police career he retired as a Superintendent with Avon and Somerset Constabulary going on to undertake various senior roles with his company – Major Events Boss Ltd. He is currently the Event Operations Consultant and Event Manager for one of the largest festivals in the world plus the Event Operations Consultant to another major UK festival.
Adrian is also a part-time Match Day Safety Officer for Bath Rugby – Premiership Rugby, England One Day Cricket Internationals – England & Wales Cricket Board as well as the current Security and Crowd Management Consultant to the Ryder Cup – PGA European Tour, with the next competition being in Rome in 2022.
PgC Grad IOSH FIIRSM FISQEM MCIEH RSP Cert FDI
Wessex Safety Services
Paul is a Health, Safety, Fire and Event Safety Consultant providing a range of mutli discipline services and training for organisations in diverse sectors. He has a strong background in Corporate Health, safety, Fire and event management and a professional background in the public, private, entertainment and consultancy sector.
Graduate Member of Institute of Occupational Safety & Health (Grad IOSH), Fellowship Member of the Institute of Risk and Safety Management (FIIRSM), Registered Safety Practitioner (RSP), Registered under the Occupational safety and Health Consultants Register, Associate member of the Stage Pyrotechnics, Member of the National Outdoor Events Association, Fellowship membership of the institute of safety, quality and environmental management. (FIQSEM), Member of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (MCIEH), Member of Football Safety Officer Association and a Certified National Fire Door Inspector (CerFDI).